What are synonyms for abstain?
- 1 What are synonyms for abstain?
- 2 What can I say instead of yea?
- 3 How do you say no in a fancy way?
- 4 How do you use abstain in a sentence?
- 5 Which is the best synonym for the word abstain?
- 6 Are there any synonyms for the word Yea?
What are synonyms for abstain?
What can I say instead of yea?
What does Abtain mean?
intransitive verb. 1 : to choose not to do or have something : to refrain deliberately and often with an effort of self-denial from an action or practice abstain from drinking.
What is the synonym and antonym of abstain?
abstain. Synonyms: refrain, forbear, refuse, demur, avoid, cease, stop, keep back, desist, discontinue, withhold, scruple. Antonyms: indulge, exceed, reveal, wanton.
What is the true meaning of abstinence?
This means avoiding all types of intimate genital contact. Someone practicing complete abstinence does not have any type of intimate sexual contact, including oral sex.
How do you say OK in a cool way?
Synonyms & Antonyms of OK
- all right,
- (also copasetic or copesetic),
How do you say no in a fancy way?
Ways of saying no – thesaurus
- no. adverb. used for giving a negative answer to something that someone asks or offers you.
- certainly not. phrase.
- by no means. phrase.
- of course not. phrase.
- not really. phrase.
- on no account/not on any account. phrase.
- not likely. phrase.
- hardly. adverb.
How do you use abstain in a sentence?
Abstain sentence example
- During Lent, many religious people decide to abstain from something to focus more clearly on God.
- Next he must abstain from all flesh diet except fish.
- I am trying to abstain from sweets for my new diet.
What does it mean when you abstain?
Abstention is a term in election procedure for when a participant in a vote either does not go to vote (on election day) or, in parliamentary procedure, is present during the vote, but does not cast a ballot.
What is the synonym of abstruse?
obscure, arcane, esoteric, little known, recherché, rarefied, recondite, difficult, hard, puzzling, perplexing, enigmatic, inscrutable, cryptic, Delphic, complex, complicated, involved, above one’s head, over one’s head, incomprehensible, unfathomable, impenetrable, mysterious.
What is the synonym of abundant?
Some common synonyms of abundant are ample, copious, and plentiful. While all these words mean “more than sufficient without being excessive,” abundant suggests an even greater or richer supply than does plentiful. streams abundant with fish.
How do you abstain?
How can you make abstinence work?
- Remember why you chose abstinence. Think about your reasons and why they are important to you.
- Think ahead. Try to avoid getting into situations where staying abstinent could be hard.
- Don’t use alcohol or drugs.
- Get support from someone you trust.
Which is the best synonym for the word abstain?
Roget’s 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition Copyright © 2013 by the Philip Lief Group. How Stately Is Your Knowledge Of States vs. Commonwealths? Robert Patmon, one of the members who questioned the need for three positions, abstained. Some of us abstain from meat and fish on occasion, others altogether.
Are there any synonyms for the word Yea?
Words Related to yea. assuredly, certainly, decidedly, definitely, doubtless, incontestably, incontrovertibly, indisputably, positively, really, surely, truly, undeniably, undoubtedly, unquestionably.
Which is the correct way to use yea or nay?
The first way to use yea as an adverb is to describe agreeability or the act of casting a “yes” vote . “All in favor, say yea or nay.” “I cannot bring myself to say yea.” Absolutely, alright, aye, certainly, exactly, indeed, indisputably, okay, positively, undoubtedly, unquestionably, yeah, you bet/betcha, word, yes.
Where does the word Nay come from in English?
The word aye developed as a variant of Old English yea ( gēa, gē) or Old Norse ei, meaning “ always ” or “ ever .” However, nay developed after yea in Middle English to mean “no” from Old Norse nei, which consists of ne ( not) + ei ( ever ).